Supporting Struggling Readers in KS3
This day is aimed at KS3 teachers, English Leaders, SENDCos, SEN Teachers, TAs/LSAs and all those responsible for supporting struggling readers in KS3.
“Dandelion Learning made a massive difference to our literacy support. More children can read. More children enjoy reading. Thank you!”
M. Hunter, Secondary Headteacher, Cornwall
“Thanks Pet for a fantastic session, it has been incredibly useful in setting out the current research around reading and giving a detailed insight into the different strategies for developing reading skills in Key Stage 3. I felt it was pitched well throughout the day with just enough information to feel confident on each topic, whilst signposting lots of useful resources and next steps to take. I know that Dandelion Learning is a platform to use for further training and opportunities. Thank you!” O. Dewey, King’s Lynn Academy
“Thank you for today’s session, Pet. It was incredibly informative and all encompassing. It provided us with lots of confidence as practitioners! Thanks Pet!” J. Brooks, Trinity School
This training day will examine current research evidence re best practice in supporting struggling readers in KS3. We will unpick the essential elements of phonics for decoding as well as the importance of engaging reluctant readers. We will explore the ‘science of reading’, giving delegates a deep understanding of the reading jigsaw and how best to support pupils to make great progress. This day is essential for anyone involved in supporting older children who are struggling with reading.
This training day will:
- Examine what ‘successful’ readers do and consider implications for supporting struggling readers.
- Examine the ‘science of reading’ as depicted by the EEF’s Reading House.
- Consider the importance of assessment and how to use this to target support effectively.
- Explore essential phonics subject knowledge.
- Reflect on the vital importance of fostering ‘reading for pleasure’ and how we can inspire reluctant/struggling readers to want to read for pleasure.
- Examine what constitutes effective intervention and consider best practice in supporting struggling readers.
- Explore practical strategies for supporting phonics and fluency in KS3.
- Consider the importance of age-appropriate ‘closely matched’ books to develop decoding and fluency.
- Signpost schools to resources and programmes to support teaching and learning.
Choice of dates:
Tuesday 7th May 2024 9.30am – 3pm
Thursday 20th June 2024 9.30am – 3pm
Friday 20th September 2024 9.30am – 3pm
2 for 1 Offer
Cost: £220 (+VAT) per teacher. Second delegate from the same school may attend for free.