Supporting Early Readers and Developing Young Writers.
‘The whole training day gave me lots of ideas for practical sessions. Good use of resources. Really informative and would definitely recommend this course.’ Helen Bailey, Carclaze Community Primary
‘Information given in such a way it made sense on a subject which can look daunting.’ Fiona Tate, Gwinear Community Primary
This training is aimed at YR, Y1 and Y2 teachers and is appropriate for schools who are using any systematic, synthetic phonics programme or a Letters and Sounds based programme.
This training is aimed at Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 teachers and Teaching Assistants. The day focuses on generic phonics subject knowledge and best practice.
Ofsted have highlighted the importance of schools having a sharp focus on ensuring that younger children gain phonic knowledge and language comprehension necessary to read, giving them the foundations for future learning. Good quality phonics provision and teaching of early reading relies on sound subject knowledge as well as a deep understanding of the ‘science of reading’. Regardless of the different contexts and locations in the world where the English language is taught for reading and writing, the same English alphabetic code and the same phonics skills are needed. All teachers and Teaching Assistants who support developing readers and writers need a thorough understanding of the research evidence and best practice to ensure all children succeed.
This online training will:
- Give teachers and TAs confidence in phonics terminology, subject knowledge and best practice re development of early reading.
- Provide a wealth of practical strategies and ‘routines’ to use immediately in the classroom to develop blending, segmenting and knowledge of GPCs.
- Explore the DfE guidance in the 2023 reading framework and implications for the classroom.
- Consider best practice in the teaching of phonics, early reading and writing as described in Ofsted’s latest Research Review Series.
- Examine a teaching sequence for phonics and assessment of pupil progress.
Choice of dates:
Thursday 30th November 2023 9.30am – 3pm
Friday 1st March 2024 9.30am – 3pm
Wednesday 26th June 2024 9.30am – 3pm
Wednesday 6th November 2024 9.30am – 3pm
2 for 1 Offer
This online training day is £140 (+VAT). This includes 1 additional teacher or TA from your school to attend at no extra cost.