Teaching Reading in KS1
“The training was very insightful and robust. Many tips and activities can be taken away and used in Key Stage 1 and whole school. I now have added more things to my action plan and next steps as the Phonics and Early Reading Lead.” S. Jacobs, St James CE Primary
“Thank you! Very engaging and interactive. Lots of ideas that we can use in school and points to think about. We very much enjoyed it!” N. Wilkinson and J. Okiwe, Farnsfield St Michael’s C of E Primary
For YR, Y1 and Y2 teachers and Teaching Assistants
Reading well is essential to tackling the effects of poverty on children and for all children it is the cornerstone of a good start in life. Teaching reading effectively in YR and KS1 is one of the most important aspects of primary provision. This training day will ensure that the teaching of reading is the very best that is can be!
The training day will:
- Consider what outstanding provision for reading looks like in practice.
- Examine the 7 aspects of early reading that Inspectors will focus upon in the Ofsted reading deep dive.
- Discuss the latest research re reading including the EEF’s ‘The Reading House’.
- Explore active, practical strategies which will help pupils to engage deeply with text and develop reading comprehension.
- Examine ideas for using quality picture books to motivate and engage readers of all ages.
- Reflect on tried and tested techniques which you will want to use in the classroom the very next day!