Developing Early Reading
There is a renewed focus on the teaching of early reading. Ofsted’s School Inspection Handbook pays particular attention to this and inspectors will focus on how well pupils are taught to read as a main inspection activity. The DfE have also recently published The Reading Framework which we will examine to support schools in meeting the expectations for teaching early reading. This training day is for Foundation Stage and Key Stage 1 teachers and TAs. Get all your children reading and loving it!
This training day will explore:
- Guidance from The Reading Framework: teaching the foundations of literacy (DfE July 2021)
- The latest research highlighted in Ofsted’s Review of Research 2022
- Active strategies for developing reading comprehension in Foundation Stage and Key Stage 1 to ensure all pupils read for meaning.
- Practical strategies to develop fluency in KS1.
- Effective use of questioning to aid comprehension.
- Practical techniques to broaden and deepen pupils’ understanding of vocabulary.
- Tried and tested techniques for engaging reluctant readers to create lifelong readers who read for pleasure.
- Top tips for engaging ‘hard to reach’ parents.
Please contact us via [email protected] to arrange this training for your school